In our latest Campbell & Halliburton Regina home insurance tip, we share important information from SGI about how to avoid BAD Santas from wrecking your Christmas .
Holiday Home security – Tips and Information From SGI.
As things start to settle into a ‘new normal’, many in person holiday parties, school concerts and family events are taking place this year – chances are you’re going to be away from your home more during this holiday season than you have been for a while. With all the comings and goings at this time of year, your house could become a target for opportunist thieves. Here’s a helpful list of dos and don’ts for holiday home security.
- Use a timer on your indoor and outdoor lights.
- Make friends with your neighbours and exchange contact information. You can all watch out for each other’s homes and contact each other if you see something suspicious.
- Install a motion detector light on your garage and make sure your house is well lit on the outside. Replace any dim or burnt out bulbs on your property.
- Get a good security system.
- Install a doorbell cam or outdoor security camera to keep an eye out at the door.
- Post beautiful Instagram photos after you’ve arrived home.
- Give delivery people special instructions about where to leave packages so they don’t set them at your front door. Or you could contact the shipping company and arrange to pick them up at their office.
- Post your holiday plans on social media, and wait to post pictures until you’re back home. Even if you have high privacy settings, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram can be hacked easily.
- Leave your lights on ALL the time that you’re away. It may seem like a good idea, but 2 a.m. kitchen lights are a clear signal to thieves that nobody’s home.
- Leave your Christmas lights on all night then turn them off when you go to bed.
- Run your light cords through a propped open window. Not only does this make your furnace work harder – using more electricity in the process – but it’s also a security issue.
- Put your Christmas tree and big beautiful gifts in front of your window. You don’t want thieves to see.
- Give out personal information to people looking for donations or people offering to shovel snow for money. They may be checking out your house.
Get Good Home Insurance
Sometimes you can do everything possible and still have a break-in. our home insurance experts at Campbell & Haliburton Insurance can help you deal with the cost of your lost items, plus any structural damage caused during the break-in. Contact our Regina Insurance brokers to find out more about your coverage and to get a quote
As you walk out of our door, you can do so with the assurance that you are covered with the home insurance that best meets your needs. If you don’t have an insurance broker and want to talk to someone who is truly passionate about your insurance, contact us at Campbell & Haliburton Insurance. We would love to help you.
Our Trusted Regina Insurance Agents at Campbell & Haliburton have your best interests and safety in mind and our commitment to customer service is one of the pillars of our business. We also know insurance inside and out, so please contact us for all of your insurance needs and we will be more than happy to help ensure what you value most is protected.
**(This is a general overview. There are many different insurance companies, and there are always differences in insurance policies. For specific details on your policy and coverage, we recommend that you contact your agent or broker.)